Half Empty

"I would not say that the future is necessarily less predictable than the past. I think the past was not predictable when it started." - Donald Rumsfeld

Name:
Location: United States

Friday, January 18, 2008

Clutter/Clean

Last week I had to hack open a soup can with a butcher knife, at work, because the cleaning lady organized the drawers and assumed we did not need the can openers, etc. that were cluttering up the silverware drawer. Well. There it is. Clutter. I can't say anything about it, either, because the "cleaning lady" is the boss's wife. But it would have made a good worker's comp claim, if I had injured myself, which I am prone to do.

The boss's wife does the cleaning in order to be on the payroll and thus accumulate social security credits, for, never having had a job, she otherwise would not be able to draw a retirement pay from social security. so, whatever.

But I was thinking of the differences between the "cleaners" and the "clutterers" (of which I am one). At least I have a can opener! I may not be able to find it, but I know I have one... that's a comfort. I think I have at least one of almost everything and given enough time I may be able to find it. Clutter leads to more clutter because you go and buy another one when you can't find the dang first thing. But then so does compulsive cleaning, doesn't it - if you throw things away? then you go buy another one, then that leads to clutter and drives the cleaner crazy. It's a loop. It drives the economy.

I have large clutter everywhere and also at work - but at work I know where everything is, even so. I would know at home, too, but I have to leave for big chunks of time, and I lose control. I get in trouble at home when I put things "away" - I usually can't find them ever again. It's always best to leave it on top of the microwave. I don't know where those things go - they're gone forever, I think lost in some kind of fifth dimension invisible to the human eye.

I have some stuff. somewhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home