Half Empty

"I would not say that the future is necessarily less predictable than the past. I think the past was not predictable when it started." - Donald Rumsfeld

Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, July 20, 2008

4

Kyle is 4 now (Ryan is almost 2, and he calls Kyle, "Kole", near as I can make it out.) Kyle likes to run around anything circular; say, the furniture on the deck - which is not at all circular - but you CAN make a run around all of it. Ryan follows along behind Kyle, dragging his blue blanket and saying, "Kole! Kole! Why? Why?" I'm not kidding - his new word is "why". This seems all somewhat surreal to me, but it can go on for an hour or more. Kyle will eventually tell Ryan not to ask him "why" anymore, but it doesn't work.

I'm never sure if we should intervene.

I took Kyle for a walk down the neighboring road while Ryan took his nap - we took the wagon and picked up interesting rocks (mostly chunks of asphalt - for Mommy) along the way, or Kyle got in the wagon and I pulled him. At one point he got obsessed with trying to throw small rocks down a storm drain and I had to say, "Kyle! Let's continue on!" so he got in the wagon again - and down the road apiece I got involved with looking at some interesting wild flowers - and finally Kyle said, "Gramma! Let's continue on!"

heh.

I have to admit, it's been quite a while since I examined the ground this closely while walking; or scuffed my toes in the dirt. (And it's still fun!) I told him I would teach him how to skip next time - what do you think? Is that a "girly" thing? Not to mention I might hurt myself. Oh, forget "might". It's a given. Maybe I should teach him how to give CPR....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home